Print this page


Liquid trade waste includes wastewater produced at an industrial or commercial premise. Liquid trade waste can contain toxic or harmful substances, such as oil, heavy metals, solids, or organic solvents and contaminants such as cooking oils.

All businesses have the potential to generate liquid trade waste. Accepting trade wastewater is an operational, environmental and safety risk for Council.

Discharging trade waste can cause serious problems in the sewerage system. It can pose a hazard for local workers. It can also block, flood or corrode the infrastructure, or cause the sewerage treatment process to fail completely.

All Councils are required by legislation to implement a Liquid Trade Waste Management System to protect the health of employees, contractors, and members of the public, to maintain sewerage infrastructure and to reduce the impact on the environment.

At Liverpool Plains Shire Council, we are ready to work with you to set up an agreement which enables you to get on with business and help Council to meet its legislative requirements.

To help, we have prepared the attached list of Frequently Asked Questions. Also please refer here to the water services Fact Sheet - Liquid Trade Waste

If you have more questions or want to schedule an appointment to enter into a trade waste agreement, please call on 02 6746 1755. 


  Confined Spaces Awareness 2 Water Flowing From Man Hole Confined Spaces Awareness





Q: Why is Council implementing Liquid Trade Waste Agreements?

A: Council must be compliant with NSW legislation, which is aimed at protecting our people, our infrastructure and our environment.


Q: Do I have to have a Liquid Trade Waste Management Agreement?

A: Yes.  If you generate trade waste from any business or commercial activity and discharge it into the Quirindi or Werris Creek sewer system, you are required to enter into a trade waste agreement.


Q: What does a Liquid Trade Waste Agreement involve?

A: The Liquid Trade Waste Agreement allows Council to monitor and control the liquid trade waste discharged into the sewer. Once your agreement is set up with Council, there will be an inspection process, and an annual fee relevant to your businesses’ operations. In some cases, we may ask you to install a pre-treatment device, such as a grease trap, and make sure it is regularly serviced to keep it working well.


Q: What do I have to do now?

Grease in pan

A: ALL Non-Residential sewerage connected premises need to have a Liquid Trade Waste approval. An application process is used to help Council understand your business and the Liquid Trade Waste it generates. Applicable trade waste forms are available here on this website, or at Council’s Office in Quirindi and a standard fee will apply.


Q: How much will this cost?

A: Businesses and individuals who produce trade waste will be charged on a ‘polluter pays’ system. Put simply, the more water you discharge to sewer, and the more contaminants in that water, the more money it will cost your business. It’s therefore important you understand the relationship of the volume of water that you use, and the volume and quality of liquid trade waste you discharge to the sewerage system. There is an annual charge which will have appeared on your rate notice. Annual trade waste charges will be determined based on your business’ activities regarding Liquid Trade Waste and the fees and charges adopted by Council each year.

 Q: How long does it take?

A:  Following receiving your application Council will undertake an inspection, so that we understand your business and the trade waste involved and identify any pre-treatment devices needed to ensure compliance with the legislation. We then enter into a trade waste agreement with you. Council understands that in some cases, you need to invest time and money to become compliant with the legislation. We will work with you to establish a timeframe that works for both your business and Council. Our Water Services team will be able to assist during this process.


Q: Are we the only Council that is implementing this?

A: No. All Councils are required by law to implement a Trade Waste Management System. LPSC is one of the last Council in the region to implement their system.